Monday, May 2, 2016

too familiar to be foreign...

Over the week end a couple of my friends and
 I were on the beach in Sokcho and got to talking about life in Korea. 

We talked about traveling about how 

Korea wasn't exactly what we had expected to be. 

When I hear my friends telling me

"Omg, that is so wonderful you live in such a foreign place!"

but is it?

Sure, when I first got here it was new and exciting and also very frustrating. 
Seeing buildings and businesses stacked up higher than my eyes could reach was definitely something I marveled over. 

but at some point in my life here Korea just became Korea. 

As the years have gone by and the more Korean language I have picked up I don't feel like

#thestruggleisreal

anymore. 

This week end I went to Sokcho but ended up feeling sick so I decided to part ways and head back home on the bus.
 It's a 3 hour bus ride back to Seoul then an additional 45 minute bus ride back to where I live. 

As I hopped in a cab and got to the bus terminal got my ticket and settled in for the long ride home it all dawned on me. 

I did this by myself

Using my Korean skills (which aren't anything to brag about) but it wast like 
I didn't have to struggle or feel frustrated. 

I feel myself feeling overly comfortable here and I see how people have ended up living here for decades. 

Let me back track and explain a little more.

One of the girls is going to Vietnam this week end and another girl mentioned her experience there.

"Eat at one of the shops near the street! The feeling of scooters zooming past you and eating in the street like a local is unreal. 

It's nothing like Korea."

When you think of Asia, I'm sure you think of China and Vietnam or maybe even Thailand. The hustle in bustle is enchanting and it's so easy to get swept up in it's glory. 

Korea is the most westernize country I have ever lived in. 

Being here is like being in America but only the signs are all in Korean.

If I wouldn't have known better it was like I signed up for a job in Dallas and still lived in Dallas but secluded from my friends and family and just worked. 

... if that made any sense ...

What I'm trying to say is

There's a point where you travel around and you get a taste of what other Asian countries are like. Some more 3rd world than others but still it's an experience. You hop on a plane back to Korea and feel a sense of relief because you are "home." 

Home here feels very western. Very few instances leave me thinking like

Oh man I'm definitely living in Asia. 

Any who I thought this was interesting and thought I'd write it down to share. 

If you live in an Asian country, have you experienced this? 
Have you ever felt like Korea wasn't what you were expecting?

Or do you think I'm completely wrong? 

I'd love to hear what you think!

Cheers!

xoxo

Julie

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely one of those ex-pats that have stayed longer than I had anticipated. It definitely is an experience that I feel, one should have a go at, especially when they're "young" and healthy. It all depends on where you are too. The first couple of years really did feel like "oh man, I'm living in Asia" as it is totally different from our Dallas bubble. I also found that my friends/co-workers got to be like family as we had each other to experience living in a different country. (Although with the ex-pat life, you see your friends come and go too soon.) It's also the coolest and greatest opportunity living over in Asia to visit all these different Asian countries that seem so far-fetched back in the States. Sending you lots of love, Ling Ling... I hope when you come visit HK that you find some excitement that you were expecting living abroad. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ling!!

      It's crazy how we become content with life over seas!! I mean dont get me wrong I miss Texas and all of it's glory but there's something "comfortable" about being here. I dont want to necessarily say it's "settling" but it's definitely easy living here. I'm sure you feel the same way in HK!

      Also I cant wait to visit you!! I'm hoping for sometime in November!! I'm still waiting out on all this work drama and then I'll be able to set something in stone! :D

      Delete
  2. You should learn more Korean and try to make deeper relationships with natives. After my Korean developed to this point I still find it constantly frustrating today. There are things about the cultural linguistics that as someone who grew up in America makes absolutely no sense and it frustrates me to no end. Other way around my Americanness apparently is too crass, loud, rude and I'm often hurting people's feelings. Literally, I'm just talking normal but somehow it hurt someone's feelings. If you want struggle and excitement, your next step is language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, I absolutely agree! I've been studying Korean for about 2 years now (slowly but surely) and I'm not the best but I really try my best. I have a couple of Korean girlfriends that are absolutely amazing and have taken me in as family to give me a more cultural experience. I found what you said very interesting because culturally we are very different (Koreans and Americans) I feel like what you said about hurting others feelings is absolutely 100% true but I have found it the other way around. Koreans mean well and they truly care about your well being but sometimes the delivery is all wrong.

      Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

      Delete