Sunday, April 26, 2015

Life After Korea

Life after Korea...

I was chatting with one of my girlfriends a couple weeks ago and we were talking about what life will be likes once we begin lives back home. She will be getting married soon to a wonderful Korean fellow and after they have kiddos they will head back to Canada. She brought up a lot of points about frustrations and worries about life back home.

It got me thinking... 

What the hell am I going to do?

By the time I head back to the States I will hopefully be at the tender age of 29. In my head it seems old in terms of getting my act together. Going home and technically starting over seems overwhelming and complicated. 

Life in Korea is easy. (relatively) 

Our housing is paid for, we work (a lot), explore far and near, and we don't have much to worry about. 

I love teaching in Korea but it's not like teaching in America. 

I also know I don't want to teach when I go back to America because I'm actually not qualified to be a teacher. I major in psychology. 


My friend said something that really struck a cord with me. 

"We need to have marketable skills that will enable us to have jobs in other fields and still be successful." 

I got to thinking. 

A. What are my skills?
B. What am I passionate about?

My first passion is make up and skin care and I have been doing that for sometime but have really slowed down since work takes up much of my time and honestly I am not going to contour my face and wear bright lip stick to teach. 

Lately I've been researching a lot about nail art. So after spending the week end at SETEC I am happy to announce my journey learning how to do nail art. 

Of course with anything I will need to practice and make sure I can do a mean manicure and gett fancy with colors and variations. Sure there's a lot to learn but that's what makes it so fun and exciting for me. 

To anyone that is abroad and wondering what life will be like after you return it's okay to be confused and a little worried. I think we all have to take it with stride. Plans aren't perfect but I'm going to work hard and try my best. 

To any of the expat who have gone home and started a new life outside of teaching, what did you do? And how did you get there? Was it difficult? 

I give you all massive kudos. 

So to all of my friends living and working abroad what do you think? What will you do? 

Best luck to everyone 

"When you do what you love you never work a day in your life"

xoxo

J. Greene

1 comment:

  1. I totally forgot about not having a place to live and no transportation. I sold my car to go to korea and my parents house was full :(

    ReplyDelete